I really like the Steffi pattern from BurdaStyle that I just used to make a blazer. I wanted a longer more wintery coat too though so I modified the pattern. I changed quite a few aspects of it.
- I made it double breasted. Buttons just down one side.
- I lengthened it to just above my knees with a slit at the back.
- I put in some shoulder pads which help hold up the puff sleeve shape cos this fabric is quite floppy - it's thin. I actually bought these shoulder pads about a year ago for another coat I'm making - and still haven't finished. It's on my to-do list!
- I took it in at the waist to give it a nicer shape.
- I made the sleeves longer and slimmer (I have super long arms).
- I gave it a high standing collar. The interfacing I used is very stiff - actually a little too stiff for my liking but I didn't want to try and rip it all off once I had already ironed it on....
- I lined it with some cheap polyester. I know it's not the warmest fabric ever but this coat is too warm when I'm on my bike. I put on a loop for hanging it up.
- My favourite part of it - a humongous pocket sewn onto the back lining! I always hate when I go into a bar and put my coat into coat check and I have to tuck my scarf, gloves, jumper etc into my sleeves. Now I have this nice big pocket to hold my stuff! It's about 33x40cm... Huuuuuuge.